Image Map

Monday, February 27, 2012

Social Media: pros and cons

source


Before I became a blogger I had little to no idea what being part of the social media world really meant. I had a personal facebook account and an e-mail, and after signing up for blogger felt like I was taking a big step!

Now you can find me:
  • here, on my blog sharing recipes, crafts, and baby news; 
  • I contribute to a few other blogs such as RevolutionizeHer, the Seven Day Push, and a new crafty blog coming soon; 
  • sharing blog updates over on bloglovin
  • tweeting about my life and blog updates over on twitter
  • sharing photos of my crafty endeavors on flickr
  • knitting in the ravelry community as part of a new project - info coming soon!; 
  • selling (or attempting to sell) some of my handcrafted items on etsy (new shop sections coming soon!); 
  • pinning things in the world of Pinterest - a recent leap; 
  • and I am considering creating a Newfoundlander at Heart facebook page. 
And how do I feel about it, now that I can be found in many reaches of the internet? I feel good. The connections I have made through these various social media outlets have helped me to grow in ways I never imagined! I have learned from DIYs and tips from more experienced bloggers, found new recipes, learned about new places, found advice for parents to be, but most of all I have made some fantastic friends! People who if they lived a few hundred kilometers closer I would happily meet with for coffee, catch-ups and general good times. I am really looking forward to these social media outlets when I am on MAT leave come May. They will keep me entertained, inspired and full of plans (like I am lacking in that department). And I know that I will be able to stay connected with these friends, where as I wonder if 'real life' friends will be as good about staying in touch once my schedule is turned upside down with baby responsibilities.

On the other side of things, there has been a lot of talk recently about negativity in the social media world - especially the blog world. I suppose I haven't been as susceptible to negative comments because my readership isn't as large as some of my blog friends. I have to say I'm sad to hear that there are people out there who have the time and the energy to leave negative comments on other peoples blogs. And that's as much as I am going to say on that topic. If you are feeling a little bit down on the blog world be sure to check out my friend Ashley's Blog Positivity Week!

So far this experience has been an extremely positive one for me, and I'm looking forward to learning more and making more friends. So thanks for following and reading along, and for all your positive comments and feedback - I really truly appreciate it!

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)