Image Map

Friday, February 3, 2012

92 Years


As I mentioned yesterday I drove to Orillia, where I grew up and and where my parents still live. Along with being groundhog day, it was my grandmother's birthday! My Aunt and Uncle were here from Calgary for a visit, so I went with them and my parents to the nursing home where my grandmother lives. We had a room all to ourselves and have a lovely dinner, followed by tea and lemon cake (Grandma's favourite!), and then presents! It was a wonderful evening, and it seemed like Grandma really enjoyed all the celebrations.

Sometimes I can't believe that she is over 90 years old! That seems like an amazing amount of time to be able to see the world go 'round. She was born shortly after WW1, she lived through the depression, then WW2 and then she began raising children of her own. She saw the style change through the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. I spent a lot of time at my grandparents house when I was little, and she and my grandfather (when he was alive) attended more dance recitals, music competitions, and school plays than I can even count; and they were always waiting with a flower, a smile and a big hug when I was done. She has 3 daughters, 6 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren, with 2 more on the way in May (that's right, Pip (due the 13th) is going to have a cousin (due the 14th), too bad he or she will be so far away in Calgary!). My grandma is a wonderful person and like her, I can only hope that I can live to meet my great-grandchildren one day.

Grandma, you are amazing and I love you! I'm so glad I was able to come home and celebrate your birthday :)
xox

1 comment:

  1. OH Happy Birthday to your Grandma! How wonderful to be able to celebrate with her.
    (ps. and a big belated congratulations on your beautiful baby belly... exciting times ahead young lady :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)