Image Map

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Obsession: Buttons

When I was a young girl I was given my great-grandmother's sewing kit. I remember being very excited. When I was young I spent a lot of time sewing things for my dolls, such as clothes, little pillows, and made small zippered pouches and other things for myself. I also tried once to make a shirt, but it wasn't measured properly, and I couldn't get it over my shoulders (someone should have told me about jersey knit). Anyways, like I said I was very excited to receive the sewing kit, with all sorts of sewing apparel, one of which was a small blue box of buttons.
I used to play with them, and dream of one day creating something beautiful with them. During some recent spring cleaning I was putting my sewing kit away, and as I looked through it I noticed the little blue box. I returned to my childhood briefly as I sorted through the tiny treasures, many of which I assume are vintage! So pretty, check them out:



Since my childhood I have continued saving buttons, but none are as special as the ones that belonged to my grandmother and great-grandmother. And now they have a place of honour in my crafting corner, where they stay organized, and visible. Maybe I will make something beautiful yet.

Have you found anything interesting at the bottom of your craft drawer recently?

1 comment:

  1. I save and collect buttons too! Although I'm not sure why b/c I never make anything with them. I'm not even sure what to make.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)