Image Map

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Baking Challenge: Homemade Granola Bars

The Baking Challenge started with a recipe posted by a good friend. She was unsure of how to decipher a recipe in a thrifted church cookbook, and I took it as a challenge to try it out. To see all The Baking Challenge posts, click here. And please join in and try out any that seem enticing!

Also, if you have any challenges for me please comment below or send me an e-mail. I'd love to try something for you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here is the recipe I left you with last time in the Baking Challenge. I actually had a chance to make these before Pip decided it was time to head to the hospital and was able to take a couple with me. We polished off the rest of the batch shortly after I made them :)
Click to enlarge - Source
I made a couple changes to the above recipe because I was a little concerned about eating too many raw oats. I decided to toast the oats and the nuts and seeds I chose to use.

So I used:
1/2 cup of peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup safflower oil
1 cup quick cooking oats (feel free to use
1 cup combined: sunflower seeds, coconut, slivered almonds, chocolate chips

I toasted the oats, sunflower seeds, coconut and almonds at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes - make sure to watch them you don't want them to burn. And then I followed the recipe as it reads above. I would recommend waiting a little while before adding the chocolate chips, mine were a little melted.
 
 
I wrapped mine in parchment paper. They get a little soft when left out, so storing them in the fridge seems to help - if they last long enough! I would definitely recommend these, so tasty and all good wholesome ingredients. If peanut butter is an issue in your some feel free to replace with another nut butter or something else similar :)

And here is a little challenge for the next couple weeks. Since it claims to be impossible I figured I would give it a try, and it seems simple enough that I can find time for it in between feedings! :)
Did you try the granola bars? And how about the impossible pie? Going to give it a try? I'd love to hear how you do :)

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)