Image Map

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Guest Post: Balancing Life with Polly

Today we have a wonderful post from one of my beautiful sponsors! Polly is a colourful creative pixie mama from the UK, and she is sharing some of her insight into balancing a creative lifestyle, with motherhood and life in general!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------



I've always dreamt of being an artist AND a mum. Of painting and sewing and making jewellery, while my children play happily around my feet.

Unfortunately the reality isn't always as ideal as the dream.

I'm a mum and do all of the stuff that goes along with that, feeding, cleaning, clothing, entertaining, comforting, reading. I have a house to run and clean. I homeschool my three girls. I blog daily and run an Etsy Shop.

How on earth do I juggle all of those balls and get everything done?

Truth is, I don't.

I'm about living inspired and following my dreams. I can't manage to keep up with everything all of the time.
 
What I've learnt is that the key is how you look at it.

I could beat myself up that the house isn't always perfect. That we've eaten a hastily thrown together meal, again. I could wish that I was 'better'

Or, I can just accept the chaos. Let go of the need to be perfect. Realise that it's all about give and take. Sometimes I'll spend days engrossed in a crafty project, and neglect the house (but never the children!). Other times, I need to take a break from crafting to work through things in my head - then is the perfect time to catch up on the housework and all the other things that need to be done.

I don't have the luxury of being able to be creative when the urge strikes. Sometimes it hits when I'm in the middle of cooking dinner, or helping with some maths, or half-way through bathtime. I've worked around this by always keeping a sketchbook handy. I can take a minute or two out to write or sketch whatever it is, so that when  I do have time to paint or sew or make jewellery, I don't have to try and remember what it was that was such a good idea!

Involve the children - if you really need to spend the afternoon surrounded by paint, let them join in too. Give them their own paints and paper, and an idea to paint and involve them.

Don't feel guilty about taking time to be creative. Don't try to be a supermum. Don't wait for the perfect situation, just do it. It's too easy to procastinate, say 'oh, but I dont' have time' and feel bad that you arent' as creative as you would like. Grab 5 mintues while dinner is cooking, while the kids are engrossed in their toys, or after they've gone to bed. There is no time like the present.

loves,

Polly xo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you been over to visit Polly at Pixie Mama? It is a beautifully colourful bit of inspiration, and I look to it almost every day. I think a daily dose is a healthy dose, and I would recommend to any friend, family member or fellow blogger. She also has a great shop (of which I am a big fan), where she displays her creative side. I hope you will take a stroll over, and feel inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)