Image Map

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Spring Cleaning: Freezer (Part I)

This time of year, we are all energized by the warm breeze and longer days. And for some reason we are programmed to participate in some sort of spring cleaning. I am going to write a series of posts about some of the spring cleaning activities that I am doing. Right now I am working on cleaning out the freezer. In summer and fall I make sure to pack lots of treats away for the winter months, usually hand-picked berries, grated zucchini, pureéd pumpkin and squash, as well as corn, peas and carrots, and wild game caught by Reggie. Often when we cook, we make large batches of food (soup, chili, etc) and freeze parts of it for evenings when we feel like cooking is going to be too much after a long day. So, needless to say, there is  lots of stuff in our freezer, and this time of year we need to start cleaning it out, to make room for what is coming this summer!

I have some easy recipes, that are good ways to use up some of the things you can find in your freezer:

Berry Oatmeal
2 cups  water
¾ cup  oatmeal
2 tbsp  brown sugar
1 tsp    cinnamon
½ cup  chopped cranberries/strawberries (or whatever berries you have hiding in the freezer)

Coarsely chop berries, set aside. Bring the water to a boil, reduce to medium heat and add oats. Cook, stirring often until all water is absorbed. Add sugar, cinnamon and berries and stir until berries are heated through. I usually top with homemade granola and about ⅓ cup of milk.

 
Creamy Macaroni
2 cups  macaroni
½ cup milk
1 tbsp  flour
½ tsp   garlic powder
¼ tsp   onion powder
Pinch   salt and pepper
¾ cup  peas/carrots (or other veggies you have tucked away in the freezer)

Defrost veggies and set aside. Bring 5 cups of water to a boil, add pasta and cook al dente (usually 9 minutes); drain, and set aside. Meanwhile in a small saucepan combine the milk, flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper over medium heat. Whisk frequently until milk thickens, remove from heat. In a large saucepan combine pasta, cream sauce and veggies and mix over low heat until heated through.


This is breakfast and lunch, and I do have a couple delicious recipes for supper and dessert, but you will have to wait until next week.
:)

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, I would love some of that oatmeal!!! Looks delicious.

    I can't wait to see your dessert and supper recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)