Image Map

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Self-sufficiency

One of the most incredible things about my Newfoundland parents (as I will refer to my host family while I lived there) was their ability to use things from the earth, and be as self-sufficient as possible. From growing vegetables, to raising livestock, to harvesting trees for firewood and timber; it seemed like these people can find a use for anything they find in nature.

When I was young I loved to watch ‘Little House on the Prairie’. And when we studied pioneers in grade three I was the so intrigued by the handmade candles, rag rugs and butter. When I look back now I realize that I’ve always been interested in the traditional way of life; when we had to work hard for everything. It’s not that I don’t appreciate modern day conveniences, indoor plumbing, electricity... facebook (lol), it’s just that I love the thought of living simply.

During my first visit to Newfoundland I sampled some of the delicious jam that my Newfoundland mom makes herself. What a wonderful thing to eat on toast, bread, crackers, ice cream... just about anything. When I learned that they had picked all the berries themselves, I was more than impressed. Then, the second summer I was there I got to taste the berries fresh off the bushes. Delish!

Blueberry flowers
 
Partridge Berries
 
Since I was quite young my parents (the biological ones) taught me to be independent. I was always encouraged to help out around the house. This past summer (2010) I decided to increase my self-sufficiency take a lesson in using what can be found in nature. I picked lots of my own berries, that being said I picked them from farms instead of wild bushes, but it is one step in the right direction. Today while deciding what I should make for dinner I was rooting around in the freezer and found a ton of berries, picked last summer. Fresh frozen raspberries, what a fantastic taste in the middle of the winter! I decided on an apple-raspberry crisp for dessert, and hoped that dinner would arrive home with my partner in crime, who, for lack of confusion, I am going to call Reggie.

apple-raspberry crisp


And the delicious taste of summer:

mmm, fresh fruit!

For the filling:
-          3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
-          ¾ cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
-          3 tbsp all purpose flour
-          3 tbsp brown sugar
-          ½ tsp cinnamon

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, and spread in a greased 9" cake pan.

For the topping:
-          2 cups quick cooking rolled oats
-          ½ cup all purpose flour
-          ½ cup packed brown sugar
-          1 tsp cinnamon
-          ½ cup butter/hard margarine
Add all the dry ingredients, and then cut in the butter until coarse crumbs form. Spread the topping over the fruit mixture. Bake in 350˚C oven for 25-30 minutes, until topping is golden and fruit is bubbling.
 Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before enjoying.


  Enjoy! See you soon!


1 comment:

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)