Image Map

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Breakfast from the pantry

This morning I woke up to a beautiful sunny day, but when I came upstairs there wasn’t a lot of food around for breakfast. I decided to look through the cupboards for ingredients to make something delicious.

Here is what I ended up with: Honey Cranberry Granola and Hot Cocoa




Honey Cranberry Granola

3 cups quick cooking rolled oats
¾ cup  hulled raw sunflower seeds
¼ cup  raw sesame seeds
1 tsp    cinnamon
¼ cup  honey
⅔ cup  canola oil
1 cup   dried cranberries

Mix the first four ingredients; I always mix directly in a 10”x10” pan. Then in a small bowl warm the honey and mix in the oil. Pour the liquid over the oat mixture and mix well. Spread in a 9”x9” pan or on a baking sheet if you like it well done. Cook in 350˚F preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until granola is golden. When you remove from the oven immediately add the cranberries, and then leave in the pan until completely cooled. Transfer to an air-tight container for storage.



Easy Hot Cocoa

3 cups     milk
2½ tbsp cocoa (plus more if needed)
2 tbsp    sugar (plus more if needed)

Put the milk in a medium saucepan, heat over low-med heat. Add the cocoa ½ tablespoon at a time, until preferred taste. Do the same with the sugar. Ensure milk is heated through, but do not let it boil. Enjoy while hot.


What did you have for breakfast this morning?

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely giving this recipe a try! Thanks Margot. Yum, granola and hot cocoa sounds like the perfect breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)