Image Map

Friday, December 16, 2011

Demerara Sugar Shortbread


This is a tasty little number I tried for the first time last Christmastime. I think I was impatient in waiting for the shortbread to cool before removing from the pan, and the cookies broke a little, but still tasted delicious! This year I had more success. (From Canadian Living Magazine December 2009, p.165).

1 cup   unsalted butter, softened
½ cup  demerara sugar, packed
1 tbsp  granulated sugar
½ tsp   salt
2 cups  all-purpose flour, sifted
¼ tsp   baking powder
1 cup   chopped walnuts (optional, I chose to not use them)

Cream together butter, sugars and salt until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, whisk flour with baking powder; stir into butter mixture until just combined. Stir in walnuts.

Press into parchment lined 9-inch round metal cake pan. Score to make 16-20 wedges. Using a fork, prick once or twice per wedge.


Bake in 325˚F oven until lightly browned and tester comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Let cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Using sharp knife, cut through score lines (leaving in pan). Let cool completely. Store in an air-tight container, makes about 16-20 cookies.

Day 16! Wow, only 9 days left until Christmas!? Have you finished all your shopping? I only have a couple things yet to pick up, and most of it is even wrapped! I’m off to Ottawa this weekend to visit some lovelies (here, here and others) and I have a few delicious guest posts coming your way! Also I promise to update the Countdown page so it links to all the recipes, and if you’re looking for info on any of the contributors be sure to check out the Bio Page!

xox

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great recipe! Who doesn't love shortbread AND non-standard sugars? The wrong kinds of people, that's who. I'll definitely need to try this out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)