Image Map

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Smoothie Update

I meant to jump on here a few days ago and share an update about our challenge. Oops. Things have been really busy here the last couple days. But here we are, so a little bit about the smoothies and the week.
 
Things have gone really well! I have explored some new smoothie ingredients (no not the cabbage). But I kinda feel like doing the challenged pushed me to add new fruits and veggies to our fridge. It was really exciting to go shopping and have so much colour in the cart, and even more exciting in the morning opening the fridge and choosing what to mix up!
Something I found a big help for busy mornings was prepping the night before. I got the jars clean and ready, the blender out, and prepped some of the fruits and veggies so they were ready to pop in the blender in the morning. We started out the week with 3 smoothies a day, and some healthy snacks. As the week progressed we incorporated healthy meals and focused on including lots of veggies. There were a few moments of weakness, but overall we are pretty proud of the healthy eating choices!
Here is a list of a few ingredients I wouldn't have reached for a week ago, and am so glad I tried!
  • spinach, blends well with little taste
  • zucchini, blends well
  • fresh ginger, grated, gives a refreshing zing
  • sweet potato, baked, 1/3 of the potato adds some fibre and tastes creamy (to me)
  • baked beets, sweet and provide a brilliant colour
  • avocado, creamy, great fats
  • hemp hearts, creamy, protein packed
And I will leave you with my favourite recipe from the week, which just happens to be a green smoothie and tastes divine!  
Sweet Green Smoothie
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 avocado
  • small handful of spinach
  • 1/2 small zucchini, sliced
  • 1/4 cup of plain greek yougurt
  • 1/3 cup frozen bluberries
  • drizzle of raw local honey
  • grate a little fresh ginger
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • Blend together, and add water to make the consistency you prefer
Happy Smoothie Making friends! What is your favourite recipe?
xox
Margot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)