Image Map

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Hallowe'en

Source
Happy Hallowe'en everyone! Although this is not my favourite holiday of the year, I always dream about the amazing pumpkin I am going to carve for the trick-or-treaters. And then the 31st arrives and alas no carved pumpkin. We do have a couple small pumpkins on our porch, so I might yet carve them before the evening. But someday I would love to have such a bright and festive display as the one above!

Do you know where the concept of carving pumpkins came from? Well I suppose there are many variations, like the one you can find on the Wikipedia page. But one of my favourite stories is based on Celtic Mythology, click here and scroll down to the story of the jack-o-lantern. No matter which story you prefer it seems it all started with turnips. Can you imagine carving a turnip! And I thought my pumpkins were a lot of work!!

I hope you're having a wonderful Hallowe'en and find a way to stay dry while out and about this evening!
xox

1 comment:

  1. No carved pumpkin around here either. I knocked myself out with a Smokey Bear Jack o' Lantern last year, so I'm taking this year off. ;) I hope you have a wonderful holiday! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for spending some time with me, if you're feeling up to it please leave me a note. I really enjoy them, and take the time to read every single one! :)